About this project
To create a consistent and relevant brand for Australian Retirement Communities (ARC) (and later, to help fold that brand into Stockland’s portfolio, after they bought it for $328 million.)
To make village life more enticing and less onerous. To show ARC’s target audience how much fun they could have living with people their own age, doing the things they’re truly interested in.
We decided to combat the perception of retirement communities as a place to spend your twilight years, instead highlighting ARC villages as the place to go to start an exciting, whole new life. This was a revolutionary concept when we started – you’ll note almost all villages today copy our strategy.
Unique Brand Space
The positioning line – ‘Life begins at ARC’ – says that in an ARC community you begin a whole new phase of your life, full of opportunity, things to do and people to do them with. The ‘Life begins at ARC’ strategy was brought to life with advertising that focused on real residents, living rich and interesting lives.
What we did
Starship managed the ARC account for over 10 years. During that time we created all of ARC’s promotional needs
across their villages including.
- Communications strategies
- Branding and sales collateral across 24 villages
- Launching 13 villages – about one every 9 months
- Research using focus groups and lifestyle mosaic data and on-line
- Brand positioning development including fonts / colour palette / image strategy / visual graphics and written language
- Integrated local press, radio, outdoor campaigns
- All the advertising for ‘turnover’ units in established villages
- Sales office internal and external signage
- Website and online development
- Helped grow and mine their database
- Complete new Village launches including master plans and stage plans
- Display home photography and brochure ware
- Briefed and ran a series of photographers who regularly visited villages documenting events
- Designed, wrote and produced Retire Magazine (38 – 52 pages 6 issues per year x 8 years) with a print run of 26k
- We also cost recovered for the Magazine by selling ad space
- Developed and ran events at new villages
Starship successfully launched a village each 9 months. During our time, ARC grew from 11 villages to 24, including landmark villages such as ‘North Lakes’, in Queensland. In 2007 Stockland purchased ARC for a record $328 million.
Once Stockland took over, Starship helped them rebrand all the collateral from ARC to Stockland. Stockland still use most of the collateral we developed.